The Main Functions of the Kidney
The kidneys play a vital role in maintaining the body's overall health. They filter out toxins, waste products, and excess substances from the blood, help regulate blood pressure, control the production of red blood cells, and maintain the body's balance of electrolytes such as sodium, potassium, and phosphate.
Symptoms of Kidney Diseases
Symptoms of kidney disease can be subtle and often go unnoticed until the condition has advanced. They may include frequent urination, swelling in the legs, ankles, or around the eyes, unexplained shortness of breath, fatigue, loss of appetite, or a metallic taste in the mouth. Persistent itching, muscle cramps, and a sudden change in kidney function may also signal kidney disease.
When to Consult a Nephrologist
It is crucial to seek medical attention if you experience any symptoms related to kidney disease, especially if you have a history of diabetes or hypertension, as these conditions can increase your risk. Prompt diagnosis and treatment can slow or prevent the progression of kidney disease.
- In the case of acute kidney function deterioration, or the presence of acute or chronic kidney failure
- During hematuria (blood in urine)
- In the event of elevated serum urea or creatinine levels
- In the case of diabetes, especially when protein excretion or kidney function deterioration occurs
- To investigate the cause or complications of high blood pressure, especially when kidney function is reduced
- In the case of urinary tract infections, or recurrent urinary tract infections
- For the investigation and treatment of inflammation of the renal pelvis
- In the case of hereditary kidney diseases (e.g., polycystic kidney disease)
- In diseases of immunological origin where the kidney is affected
Kidney Diagnostic Methods
At the Duna Medical Center, we offer an array of diagnostic tools to evaluate your kidney health accurately. These include blood tests to measure kidney function, urine tests to identify abnormalities, kidney ultrasound to visualize kidney structure, and in certain cases, a kidney biopsy to examine the kidney tissue under a microscope. Our aim is to provide a comprehensive assessment and a tailored treatment plan for every patient.
Let the experts at Duna Medical Center's Nephrology Department guide you on your journey to better kidney health. Contact us today to schedule your consultation.
Nephrological control examination29 000 Ft
Nephrology specialist examination33 000 Ft